33 out of 39 bodies recovered by rescue workers from a scuba-diving boat disaster off the coast of California, still one person is missing, authorities said on Wednesday.
On Tuesday morning search operations for survivors were suspended, and rescuers have begun an operation to free remains still trapped in the wreckage, which sank 66 feet (20 meters) and to determine the cause of the catastrophe.
The remains of 11 women and nine men were found after the 75-foot Conception caught fire and sank early Monday, trapping passengers below deck beneath the roaring blaze.
Santa Barbara County sheriff´s department said divers have since recovered 13 other bodies. All the remains have been transported to coroner offices for DNA identification. Authorities have not released details on any victims´ identities.
The boat had been on a diving excursion around Santa Cruz Island, just west of Santa Barbara in southern California.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *