At least four people were killed an eleven others sustained injuries when a gun man opened fire near a Christmas market in the French border city of Strasbourg on Tuesday evening before being cornered by police. The franc is still on high alert and the Christmas market is being held amid tight security after attack. The motive of attack is not clear yet.
“Serious public security event underway in Strasbourg. Residents are asked to stay at home,” the French interior ministry had said in a tweet, with deputy mayor Alain Fontanel also confirming the incident. “Thanks to all for staying at home until the situation has been clarified,” he added.
According to a press release issued by the state services in Grand Est and Bas-Rhin department, “Around 8 PM, an individual opened fire in the city centre of Strasbourg. … 10 wounded evacuated to the hospital of Strasbourg.” Police said while the suspected gunman had been identified, he was still being “actively sought”. A public information unit (CIP) was also set up, it said. The French minister of interior, Christophe Castaner, tweeted: “Our security and rescue services are being mobilised. Do not propagate rumours and follow the advice of the authorities.”
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
17 August, 2019