On Sunday, Hezbollah and Israel exchanged fire along the Lebanese border after a week of rising tensions.
The Israeli army said it fired in southern Lebanon after a number of Hezbollah anti-tank missiles targeted its military base and vehicles near the border.
Israeli officials denied Hezbollah’s claims that it killed and injured people inside the military vehicle, claiming that there were no casualties.
In its statement, the Israeli army said “a number of anti-tank missiles were fired from Lebanon towards an Israel Defense Forces base and military vehicles”.
“We are consulting about the next steps,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said.
“I have ordered that we be prepared for any scenario. We will decide on the next steps pending developments.” After the exchange of fire began, Lebanon’s Prime Minister Saad Hariri contacted senior US and French officials to urge their countries and the international community to intervene.
The head of the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon called for “maximum restraint.” Israeli military spokesman Jonathan Conricus told journalists that the “tactical event” near Avivim, an Israeli community near the Lebanese border, was most likely over, the “strategic situation is still ongoing”, meaning tensions with Hezbollah remained.
After the initial reports of fire from Lebanon, an Israeli military spokesman said Israelis living within four kilometres (2.5 miles) of the Lebanese border should remain at home and prepare shelters.
Tensions have risen in the last week between Israel and Hezbollah. On August 25 attack involved two drones, one exploded and caused damage to a Hezbollah-run media centre and another crashed due to technical failure. Israel has not claimed responsibility for the incident.
The attack in Lebanon came just hours after Israel launched strikes in neighbouring Syria to prevent what it said was an impending Iranian drone attack on the Jewish state.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *