Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi movement denied Saudi media reports that Saudi Arabia had intercepted two missiles in Islam’s holiest site, Mecca province fired by Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthis. “The Saudi regime is trying, through these allegations, to rally support for its brutal aggression against our great Yemeni people,” Houthi military spokesman Yahya Sarea said on Facebook.
Earlier on Monday (May 20) a Saudi coalition spokesman said, “Royal Saudi Defence Forces spotted aerial targets flying through restricted areas in the provinces of Jeddah and Taif and dealt with them as required by the situation”. In a tweet, Saudi Arabia’s embassy in Washington said the two missiles had been intercepted in Mecca province, which includes Jeddah and Taif.
pic.twitter.com/FFX8bHARWA— Saudi Embassy (@SaudiEmbassyUSA) May 20, 2019
— Saudi Embassy (@SaudiEmbassyUSA) May 20, 2019
More than two million Muslims from around the world make the annual Haj pilgrimage to Mecca. Many also visit the city during the holy month of Ramadan, which is underway.
Riyadh has accused Iran of ordering last week’s drone strikes on two oil pumping stations in the kingdom, for which the Houthis claimed responsibility. Tehran denied doing so. Washington and Tehran have been sparring over sanctions and the U.S. military presence in the region, raising concerns about a potential conflict between the United States and Iran.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
21 July, 2019