On Monday, Israel demolished several Palestinian homes built near its separation barrier south of Jerusalem as part of a decision that drew international condemnation.
Israel says the buildings were constructed too close to the separation barrier and posed a security risk.
It has established a buffer zone around the barrier in the area of between 100 and 300 metres (yards), according to UN humanitarian agency OCHA.
OCHA says demolishing all 10 of the buildings would see three households of 17 people displaced and another 350 people affected.
The buildings were to include a total of 70 apartments, it said.
Palestinian leaders slammed the demolitions in the Sur Baher area which straddles the occupied West Bank and Jerusalem, but Israel defended them as essential to its security and stressed they had been approved by its supreme court.
UN officials and the European Union condemned the demolitions and called for an immediate halt to the policy.
Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas called on the “international community to intervene immediately to stop this aggression against our people”.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
17 November, 2019