Despite the demands of Indian fans of boycotting the marquee match in England though neither of the cricket boards has publicly expressed any such desire, the International Cricket Council is confident the June 16 World Cup match between Pakistan and India will go ahead despite last week’s attack in Indian-occupied Kashmir (IoK), said chief executive David Richardson.
“Certainly there are no indications any of the matches, including the Pakistan-India match, will not be played as planned at the World Cup,” ICC chief executive David Richardson told Cricinfo. “But … we will continue to monitor the situation.” More than 400,000 applications had been made for the 25,000 tickets available for the match, organisers said. “To put that in perspective, England v Australia was around 230-240,000,” World Cup tournament direct
While talking about Harbhajan’s point of view he said; “Harbhajan had shared his point of view but he didn’t clarify what happens if we are again pitted against them in semi-final or suppose final. Does that mean that we will be forfeiting World Cup semi-final or final? So we are all talking about hypothetical situations,” a senior BCCI official said. “For the record, India played Pakistan in a World Cup game in England in 1999 edition when Kargil War was at its peak,” the official added.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
21 July, 2019