Foreign Office spokesperson Dr. Mohammad Faisal on Thursday (April 11) while addressing weekly media briefing in Islamabad, said that Pakistan will not be part of next round of talks between Taliban and the US in Doha this month.
There will also be an intra-Afghan dialogue on 14th and 15th of this month, organized by Russia. The first such meeting was held in Moscow in February this year. He said Pakistan has supported the peace talks in the past and will continue playing its facilitative role for durable peace in Afghanistan. He said dialogue is a good way of resolving all outstanding conflicts.
The talks focused on the withdrawal of US troops and assurances that insurgents would not use Afghanistani territory to stage future attacks.
The Afghan Taliban announced in December 2018 that they will meet with American negotiators in the Qatar to find a peaceful solution to the 17-year armed insurgency in Afghanistan. Ashraf Ghani and his administration were not invited to the talks. The Taliban had previously stated they would not negotiate with the government of Afghanistan, who they considered a puppet government. On February 25, 2019, peace talks began between the Taliban and the United States in Qatar, Taliban co-founder Abdul Ghani Barada is notably present.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
17 August, 2019