On Sunday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said, US aims to avoid war with Iran and the additional troops ordered to be deployed in the Gulf region are for “deterrence and defense,”.
Pompeo added while speaking to International media that he was confident U.S. President Donald Trump would take action if such deterrence measures fail and that this was well understood by the Iranian leadership.
“Our mission set is to avoid war,” Pompeo said. “You saw what Secretary Esper announced on Friday, we are putting additional forces in the region for the purpose of deterrence and defense,” he said.
U.S. has slapped more sanctions on Iran, penalizing the Iranian Central Bank while the Pentagon said it was sending U.S. troops to bolster Saudi Arabia’s air and missile defenses after the largest-ever attack on the kingdom’s oil facilities.
Iran denied involvement in the attack. Yemen’s Houthi movement, an Iran-aligned group fighting a Saudi-led alliance in Yemen’s civil war, has claimed responsibility.
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, speaking to international media, said the attack on Saudi oil facilities was an attack on the world economic system. He said the United States expects that any country attached to the U.S. dollar system will abide by the sanctions on Iran.
In recent weeks, Trump had been considering easing sanctions against Iran and suggesting he meet with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, who is scheduled to attend the UN General Assembly in New York this week. Rouhani said that Iran, which denies having sought a nuclear weapon, would not talk to the United States before sanctions were lifted by Washington.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
27 September, 2019