Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi boycotted Indian External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar’s opening statement at the meeting of the SAARC Council of Foreign Ministers held on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly session in New York on Thursday (Sep 26).
Shah Mehmood Qureshi in a statement said Pakistan will not engage with India “until and unless” it lifts the “siege” in Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IOJ&K)
“Pakistan will not engage with the Butcher of Kashmir until and unless they lift the siege and put an end to atrocities in Occupied Kashmir. They must safeguard human rights of Kashmiris, ensure they are protected and not violated or trampled upon,” Qureshi said.
India needed to ensure the protection of all Kashmiris’ human rights, the foreign minister told media in New York. They have to make sure that the Kashmiri folks’ basic rights were safe, he added.
Qureshi added that New Delhi should also ensure that there were no human rights violations in the occupied valley. “It is impossible for me to sit with the murderers of the Kashmiris,” he said. FM Qureshi had decided to walk out of Jaishankar’s speech shortly before his Indian counterpart walked up to the stage.
On August 5, the government of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi had stripped Kashmiris of the constitutional rights they had for seven decades through a rushed presidential order. Since then, an indefinite curfew has been in place in occupied Kashmir while elected leaders are still under house arrest.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *