TOKYO: The Japanese guard service said on Monday that sensitive information on defence equipment may have been stolen because of cyberattacks on Mitsubishi Electric Corp, a significant provider of the nation’s defence and infrastructure frameworks. The organization has told the ministry that conceivably stolen information included requirements for defence equipment that the ministry specified for contract bidders in October 2018, the ministry said in an announcement.
The Ministry said it was still assessing and researching the security leak, it’s affected areas and working around the clock to remove any potential vulnerabilities. Mitsubishi Electric did not win the contract in the auction.
Mitsubishi Electric initially denied the possibility of a breach of sensitive defence and infrastructure data when it first reported on the 200-megabyte cyberattacks by a third party on Jan. 20.
But subsequent checks at the company revealed that the defence ministry’s information that required special care was included in data potentially stolen by the attacks, Mitsubishi Electric said in a separate statement on Monday.
The company has said it first discovered the cyberattacks in June last year, more than half a year before it disclosed them to the public.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
17 November, 2019