At least 99 people have died and scores have been hospitalised in northern India drinking Cheap, locally-made alcohol with addition of methanol — a highly toxic form of alcohol sometimes used as an anti-freeze, officials said on Monday (Feb 11).
In one district of Uttar Pradesh 59 people and 31 people died in neighbouring Uttarakhand after consuming toxic alcohol, police spokesman Shailendra Kumar Sharma told AFP. In a neighbouring district a senior police officer said nine had died, adding that 66 suspected bootleggers had been arrested in the state and samples of the liquor sent to a laboratory for testing.
“We are trying to find out the main source of this illicit liquor. We will soon nab the main culprit behind this tragedy,” Janmejay Khanduri, senior Uttarakhand police official told AFP. Newspaper reports said around 3,000 people linked with the illegal trade were arrested across the northern India .
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
27 September, 2019