On Friday, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said he would consider policy changes that led the company to give up controversial posts by President Donald Trump during recent demonstrations protesting the death of an unarmed black man while in police custody, a partial concession to critics.
Zuckerberg won’t promise specific changes in policy in a Facebook post, days after members of staff left the job, some claiming that he was still finding new justifications not to challenge Trump.
I assume many of you think that we’d have branded the President’s posts somehow last week,” Zuckerberg wrote, referring to his decision not to delete Trump’s message containing the expression “when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”
We should study our legislation enabling dialogue and the uses of the use of force by the state to see if there are any changes that we can implement,” he wrote. “Aside from the binary leave-it-up or take-it-down decisions, we will review possible options for handling violating or partially violating content.”
Zuckerberg ” says Facebook would be much more transparent about its decision-making on whether to bring down posts, review posts policies that could lead to the suppression of voters, and look for software to advance racial justice under the leadership of important lieutenants.
Earlier this week, employees at a staff meeting asked Zuckerberg ‘s stance on Trump’s post.
Zuckerberg, who owns a majority interest in Facebook, has clarified that while he considered Trump’s remarks to be “deeply offensive,” they did not breach company policy against incitement to violence.
Facebook’s policy is to either take this post down or leave that up, without any other options. Now, Zuckerberg said it would consider other possibilities.
But he added, “I ‘m worried that this approach may lead us to editorialize on content that we don’t like even if it doesn’t violate our policies.”
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *